Supported Independent Living | NDIS Provider | PHM Health
1300 941 450 or 02 9051 0797
PHM Health Covid-19 Response. Find out more

Supported Independent Living

How to get support

Learn about our services

Read up on our services for individual support, NDIS, personal care, and social and lifestyle support.

Enquire with PHM Health

Using our contact form, enter your details so we know how we can best assist you.

Await a response

That's all. A support worker will be in contact with your preferred contact method within 3 business days.

Supported independent living

Supported Independent Living is NDIS funding that provides support to people with disabilities, assisting them to live as independently as possible.

This funding is often used for people who need full time support while living in a shared home, covering the cost of support staff.

There are some complexities to Supported Independent Living which does provide some confusion. The best way to ensure if this is suitable to a particular person, is to speak to one of our friendly team members.

Please get in touch by calling 1300 941 150

Commonly asked SIL questions

What is the difference between Supported Independent Living (SIL) and Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA)?

While quite similar, Specialist Disability Accommodation is the funding for the accommodation in which those services are delivered.

An SDA provider:

Provides for the actual house, similar to a landlord or property management agency. SDA is (mostly) used when someone has very high needs. It’s designed to ensure that people don’t have to pay more for their homes because of their disability. (It’s worth noting that only a small percentage of NDIS participants will get SDA funding in their plan).

A SIL provider:

Manages the actual support workers. A SIL provider supplies the workers to support people in the house with daily living tasks. The focus is on developing the participants’ skills so that they can live as independently as possible.

Structured break down:

A SIL Provider An SDA Provider
Provides support in the home Builds or owns the SDA house
Manages the staff that work in the house Often who you pay rent to
Helps the residents organise household tasks like preparing food, cleaning etc, Maintains the house
Manages the staff that work in the home Helps to fix damage
Can help with community access outside of the home
Attends to any complaints about the support providers
Evaluates workers for the home

Can a provider be both?

Absolutely. The Endeavour Foundation is an example of an organisation that is both a SIL provider and SDA provider.

How do I get funding?

To be applicable to receive SIL funding from the NDIS, it needs to be deemed reasonable and necessary. You will need to explain why to your planner. To have a chance of success we recommend that you:

Be Prepared

The more preparation you do, the better your chances of receiving your best funding package.

Be thorough

An important factor when attending your meeting is that the NDIS Planner does not know you or what you’re after. Explain everything. Be thorough. If your needs are urgent or pressing, you must express this clearly.

What kind of supports are offered in Supported Independent Living?

Help with daily living tasks like shopping, cooking and cleaning Rental costs
Develop a plan tailored to you to help achieve your goals Money for day to day living expenses
Help access social and community activities Funds for groceries and paid activities
Manage and attend appointments with you Items such as gas, electricity, water and phone.
Any items covered in other sections of the NDIS price guide
Transport costs

How does the Supported Independent Living funding work?

How most NDIS funding works How SIL funding works
You receive your NDIS plan with dollar amounts assiged to the various categories You get funding for SIL in your plan, but it doesn’t have an exact dollar amount assigned
You decide which service providers you want to go with You will work with your Support Coordinator and speak to all of the relevant people
You sign on to receive supports They will determine your level of support
You will work with your Support Coordinator to find a suitable house
Your SIL provider will do up a quote for the whole house

The funding is applied individually. The supports may be shared amongst everyone in the house.

A provider will put in a quote for each person within the house. They will examine what their typical week looks like.

The NDIS will cover the reasonable and necessary costs of SIL, including SIL supports. In most situations, the SIL provider will liaise directly with the NDIS.

What are the levels of SIL funding?

While it does depend on the level of support required, SIL funding is divided into three levels. It also depends on how many people live in the shared setting. There are three levels available;

Lower need: Provides supervision of living arrangements. Not full time (24/7)

Standard need: Provides full-time support. Supervision of most daily tasks, overnight sleepovers

Complex need: Provides highly frequent assistance to the individual with continual assistance with all daily tasks. Includes managing challenging behaviours that require intensive support. Managing complex medical needs, full-time active support including overnight.

For full descriptions of these categories, please consult the NDIS Price Guide


Is there a difference between Supported Accommodation and Supported Independent Living (SIL)?

No. This support was called Supported Accommodation before the NDIS came in. Now it’s officially called Supported Independent Living.

Why is it so hard to find a SIL house?

There are many requirements, such as;

The ratio needs to be right
In your assessment, they will determine the support worker to housemate ratio. That can be anywhere from 1:1 or 1:7. Everyone in the house will need to have similar ratios to be compatible.

An Occupational Therapist (OT) needs to approve the house for you
The OT will do an assessment to understand your requirements in a living arrangement. This will help form part of the SIL application. An OT won’t approve each property, however, the assessment they do will in part, determine whether a customer can be accepted for a property.
You will most likely work with your Support Coordinator to achieve this.

You need to be compatible with the other tenants
Like with any house, the people in the house need to be compatible with each other. You wouldn’t move in to a house where you aren’t compatible with people. It’s the same with the NDIS.
It’s rare but people may be approved for two support workers if the NDIS deems it reasonable and necessary.

Who can help me with Supported Independent Living?

The most important person that you will need help from is the Support Coordinator. They’re paid by the NDIS to help you through the process and communicate directly with allied health and service providers. They do most of the work. It’s rare for someone to be approved for Supported Independent Living without Support Coordinator funding.

Can you use your SIL funding in your own home or private rental?

Supported Independent Living funding can be used in many places including private rentals, special disability accommodation, a house you own, shared or group accommodation and housing through the department of housing and other similar services.

How people use PHM Health

  • Aid and home support
  • Food assistance
  • Budgeting
  • Getting places
  • Personal care
  • Training
  • Day to day tasks

Sign up to our e-newsletter to receive the latest PHM Health News